Fire Extinguisher Safety Tips for Tempe?
The National Fire Protection Association recommends using portable home fire extinguishers when:
- The fire is confined to a small area, such as a wastebasket, and is not growing
- Everyone has exited the building
- The fire department has or is being called
- The room is not filled with smoke
- To operate a fire extinguisher, remember the word PASS:
- Pull the pin. Hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you, and release the locking mechanism
- Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly
- Sweep the nozzle from side-to-side
- Select a multi-purpose extinguisher that can be used on all types of home fires that is large enough to put out a small fire but not so heavy as to be difficult to handle
- Choose a fire extinguisher that carries the label of an independent testing laboratory
- Read the instructions that come with the fire extinguisher and become familiar with its parts and operation before a fire breaks out
- Install fire extinguishers close to an exit and keep your back to a clear exit when you use the device
SERVPRO® of North Tempe and Mesa East’s team of highly trained fire restoration technicians are on-call 24-hours a day to serve you. When you need fire damage restoration services for your Tempe home or business, call us at 480-456-0000.
Franchises are Independently Owned and Operated.